Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Kowa anamorphic lens: Help

  1. #1
    dogstarman
    Guest dogstarman's Avatar

    Post

    Hmmm....

    I just got mine in the mail Saturday. It's in perfect condition, and I'd like to use it with my Nizo 6056. The problem is, it's really quite heavy and I'm thinking it's probably a bad idea to just screw-mount it to the camera lens. Also, if I did that, everytime I turned the focus ring, I'd have to adjust the anamorphic lens so the image compression would be correct.

    So, what I'm imagining is a top-mount bracket that would attatch to the compendium/ mic mount on the Nizo, and then to a clamp like adapter ring that would sit flush with the end of the Nizo lens, thus suspending the A-lens in front of camera lens, but both lenses could be focused independently without messing with the axis position of the A-lens.

    Anybody got any ideas what I could use for that clamp/ adapter ring? I have a bracket that I could adapt for the purpose, but I need an idea as to what I can use for the ring...


    Thanks

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    Yeah, those babies are heavy.
    The Nizo Compendium is too wimpy for the job, in my opinion.
    The best way to do this is to get some rails to mount it, like they do with matte-boxes on 16 & 35mm cameras.
    Actually, the best thing would be to get the setup that's made for the Aaton A-minima.
    It's a base that the camer mounts to, that has rails that extend out to mount a big lens to & matte box.
    Go into a search engine, and you'll see what I mean.
    Pretty expensive though, I would imagine, although maybe it would give you ideas to make something yourself.
    Good luck, my anamorphic experiment turned into a disaster, after paying $400 for two lenses, then getting screwed after I resold them on ebay. (See the ebay thread for the full gory details)

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  3. #3
    dogstarman
    Guest dogstarman's Avatar

    Post

    Yep, and I learned from your mistake, Matt.

    I wanted to try anamorphic, but I made sure to get a lens that was going to be compatable with my camera. I paid $45.00 for my Kowa. And it's pristine. So if it doesn't work, I'm not out a bunch of cash, and can probably recoup my loss.

    Oh, I did get it on eBay, for those keeping score...

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Frank Houiellebecq
    Guest Frank Houiellebecq's Avatar

    Post

    I also use a kowa, and have just had some mounts made for it, it is the Kowa pa35 lens, weighs about 600 gram, the company that did the mounts was S.R.B. Film services, I use the Canon 1014e which has a 58mm filter thread size,the barrel on the Kowa is 63.5mm so they are a good match.This lens has no thread anyway.First of all it is good to have a stepping ring made with an extended collar, mine is 58mm-64mm. If the stepping ring is made with an extended collar the kowa can sit in this snugly and still allow for the camera lens to rotate.It also acts to stop sideways movement of the Kowa, you dont want the "A" lens to wobble in the wind.A bracket arragement under the camera screwed into the tripod socket holds the lens in front of the camera, this is a simple extended bar with a lollipop ring that fits around the Kowa secured with two plastic screws, if you need more details I can email a diagram.

    ------------------

  5. #5
    dogstarman
    Guest dogstarman's Avatar

    Post

    Please do.
    Sound exactly like what I need.

    ------------------

  6. #6
    Konton
    Guest Konton's Avatar

    Post

    Okay, I don't know if this was a stupid spur of the moment decision, but I just bought a Kowa Anamorphic lens (the 16-H also know as the 8Z) off Ebay for $100. Was that expensive? I don't know.

    I know from the message boards that someone else here uses a PA35. But the PA35 is 1.75x and the 8z is 2x. Are there other differences? Do I need a way to hold the len up or is this easily mountable? Please help. I'm pretty excited to try Anamorphic.

    ------------------
    Konton the Grey

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •